Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life can be so unfair...unless you're a celebrity

It's finally happened. I've been watching, waiting, anticipating this moment for a month. And now it's here. People Magazine is reporting Lauren Conrad's book "L.A. Candy" has hit the NY Times Bestseller list. Yes, the girl from "The Hills" television show on MTV, who is famous for...well, existing really, has made it onto the most coveted list in the world. Cue jealousy, rage and envy.

Life can be oh so unfair when you're not a celebrity. Because without the hit TV show, Conrad would never have been offered a book deal. Is she a writer? Has she studied writing? I'm not completely sure what the answers to those questions are but I'm leaning towards no. And without a fanbase, no one would have bought her book because quite honestly, it's not good. Not good at all. Now, full disclosure, I have not read the entire book, I've merely read an excerpt. However, that was enough for me.

Kirkus gave it a horrible review and no one else seems to have bothered to review it all all, which speaks volumes. Yet somehow, it has appeared on The List. I know. It boggles the mind. It just goes to show you, if you're considered a celebrity you're almost a shoe-in to make The List. Forget talent. All you need is to become overexposed. Perez Hilton, Paris Hilton, Madonna...those are just a few who have received book deals simply based on their fame. Not their talent. Who knows if they even wrote the books themselves?

Jealous much, you might be thinking. Umm, yeah! I've been writing for years, made a career out of it and I'm sure when I do write that book I'm always talking and thinking about, it won't land on the bestseller list my first try. It may take five or six times or I may never make it at all.

And the kicker is I suppose I could be included as part of her fanbase (I admit begrudgingly). I would have bought Conrad's book if it was even marginally good. But I have standards where my reading material is concerned.

What? People Magazine is a fine, upstanding publication. Really.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya sister. I was thinking the same thing when I heard she was "writing it." Keep on truckin'! (I mean, writin'!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Steph! It is not fair. If I ever publish a book, I'm going to take the hard copy version and beat up the paperback copy of LC's.

    ReplyDelete