Thursday, July 30, 2009

Let's review...'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

There is only one book I have read where the writing was so beautiful that I devoured every word, every sentence. I didn't skim. I didn't breeze through passages. I soaked up every word. And when the story was over, I immediately wanted to reread it. That book was "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin.

That was until I read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.

"The Book Thief" is unique. It's honest. It's powerful. It is a great piece of writing.

Narrated by death, the book takes place in Nazi Germany at the beginning of World War II. It follows one specific girl, the book thief, who death has taken notice of...but not for the reason you might think.

I love death as the narrator. I think it was a stroke of genius for Zusak. Death is harsh and lovely all at the same time. He sees things and humans in a way we can't really understand. And it's fascinating.

In Liesel Meminger, a.k.a. the book thief, we're introduced to a girl who struggles to read but becomes determined to learn. And the stolen books offer Meminger a chance to do just that. Her thievery is interwoven with the rise and fall of Hitler and her struggle to understand just who and what the fuhrer is.

"The Book Thief" is a wonderful hidden gem that was first published in 2005. I can't believe I didn't hear about it back then. But I am glad I found it. While it was written for teens, this book spans the age gap and will consume anyone who reads it.

I highly, highly recommend this book to all those who love words and books. But you'll have to go out and get your own copy.

I'll be over here, rereading mine.

1 comment:

  1. You've convinced me :) I'll read it. I may read Shopgirl too now!

    ReplyDelete